Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tarot For Writers

I enjoy doing so many things that I love when they can overlap. Recently I found a great book that allows too of my passions to overlap; writing and tarot. Tarot for Writers by Corrine Kenner is an excellent resource for both reading tarot and using to overcome writers block. I have been doing tarot for about a year now, I have been progressing well in my ability to learn what the cards mean, but Google it and you will see the variation that is out there in meanings a well as processes. One of things I like about the book is the second half is a description of all 78 cards and their meanings. Kenner lists both the historical significance and the modern take on all the cards with at least two pages per card. If you don't believe in tarot that's fine, but if your writer I think it's worth taking a look at this book and a deck of cards. Part I is the first three chapters, they are an introduction to tarot and is good if you are a beginner. Part II is the called the The Writer's Tarot, this section offers advice on using the cards for character creation, storylines and plots, settings and description, breaking writer's block, etc. These chapters offer insight on how to use these cards as a jumping off point, and also has a lot of exercises for writers to use. I am enjoying challenging myself with this book and I hope you will too.

No comments: